Digital nomads are kind of trendy nowadays… There are more and more articles about this lifestyle trend and more people talking about it or wanting to become one. It can easily be understood as it is a cool way of life. But we are using this word to describe different kinds of people and behaviors. Nomadism, remote working and digital nomadism… What are the differences ?
In my opinion, these are different kinds of people who can be called “digital nomad” and that is why it is so confusing !
The differences between nomadism, remote working and digital nomadism
- Nomads: people living a life based on travel. It includes digital nomads and all other kinds of nomads (as in nomad peoples).
- Half-nomads: people living in different places during the year; they have at least two places of residence…
- Remote workers: workers, entrepreneurs or freelancers working remotely. It includes people working from the same place (or at least city) and digital nomads.
- Digital nomads: nomads or half-nomads working remotely thanks to the internet, cell phones…
IMPORTANT: I would certainly not call an “on-the-way worker” a digital nomad !
The different types of digital nomads
Now that we have set the differences between the previous words, let’s go deeper into the classification of the last one. Here is my work, it is open and I would be glad to get some feedback from you guys. Do not hesitate to copy it, improve it and share it with me!
NB : the order of words is important.
- Permanent long-term digital nomads: they work remotely and live abroad most of the time. They stay in a place around 6 months or more before moving somewhere else. They do not have an expected date of return to a sedentary life.
- Permanent mid-term digital nomads: they work remotely and live abroad most of the time. They stay around 1 to 6 months in a place before to move somewhere else. They do not have an expected date of return to a sedentary life.
- Permanent short-term digital nomads: they work remotely and live abroad most of the time. They stay between 1 day to 1 month in a place before moving somewhere else. They do not have an expected date of return to a sedentary life.
- Temporary permanent mid/short-term digital nomads: people taking a gap year while working or people traveling and working for a definite time. Most of the time, they will stay around 1 to 3 weeks in the same place.
- Occasional mid/short-term digital nomads: they have a permanent place to live but they travel between a few days to 2 weeks while working often during the year.
- Occasional long-term digital nomads: they have a permanent place to live for half or 3/4 of the year and they will be traveling and working the rest of the year. When they travel, they behave like “permanent short-term digital nomads”.
- Half-digital nomads : remote workers with different places to live and work along the year (at least two).
Conclusion : there is always a way to be a digital nomad !
In my opinion, “digital nomad” has a broad meaning so it includes different kinds of way of life. And you, if you are a digital nomad, what is your category ?